Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,

I figured I would give you something to read while you are on the plane on your way to Mexico since you said you didn't think you would sleep much during your flight.

I am going to miss you very much. I have gotten accustomed to the carpooling to and from work and appreciate all the conversations we have, whether its about current events, sports, or just real life. Granted, there are days where we just ride together in the car in silence, but usually we have something to talk about thanks to talk radio. I am thankful for the opportunity to carpool with you because to me, I feel like we are re-building a relationship I feel has been lost a long time ago. That 30-40 minute drive together puts me in hopes that you will soon see me as the person I am, and not the person I once was. I know I have made plenty of mistakes in the past, some of which has caused you much pain and sadness, but I'm not that person anymore, and I hope you can see that.

I want you to know that by you going to school and accomplishing your goal of receiving your certificate in that translator program has helped me to see that it is possible to achieve success, regardless of what is on my plate. You have a full time job and family and have managed to add school to your plate and complete what you started. Your strength to successfully complete the program has motivated me to finish what I started a long time ago.

Being that I have been in a community college for way too long, I haven't been able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like there's been no end in sight, no matter how hard I worked to get ahead. My last attempt at trying something different than Mt. Sac or Rio Hondo was a fail, in large part because I didn't feel like I had your support (like when you told me I acted as though I thought I was better than everyone because I got a car and went back to college instead of telling me you were proud of me). We had a talk just the other day about how life is just too short to let it slip away. I'm tired of settling with a mediocre life because I am "comfortable". I want more out of life and decided that I can't get that if I settle for the life I am living right now.

Well I have good news. I recently applied and got accepted to Capella University, it's a university based out of Minneapolis that offers an online program. A good friend of mine just completed her Masters there and recommended it to me. It's a huge commitment that I have thought over but have decided is right for me. I start the program on July 11th and am looking at graduating with my Bachelors in Public Safety with a specialization in Criminal Justice in 2013. With that I plan on applying somewhere locally for grad school so I could get a Masters in Social Work.

While I wasn't going to say anything and just surprise you with an invitation to my graduation in two years, I realized that I can't do this without your support. Regardless of things that have happened between us in the past, you are still my dad, and I value and respect you. You are the one person I feel like I can talk to about anything and I know that even if I don't like what I may hear, I know I will always get an honest answer from.

 Father's Day without you is going to be hard for all of us, but I'm sure we are all happy to share you with the family in Mexico for two weeks, since we get you for the other 50 weeks out of the year. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy time with Grandma and the rest of the family. Remember, life is too short and you have to appreciate every moment. :)

I love you very much, Dad.

Love,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment